Monday, April 28, 2014

My Daddy said...



Sometimes, words are memorable because of when they were said, sometimes because they were said often.   For these phrases from my Daddy, it was a little of each.

Do what you do do well (girl).
Usually on a Saturday night to the tune of an old country song.

Be kind, for every one you meet is carrying a burden. When I had gotten up on my adolescent high horse.  I was an adult before I really understood the wisdom of these words.

Well, don't you look pretty in that dress? On Sunday mornings when my mother had dressed me in my Sunday best.

We used to say, "We might be poor, but there's no excuse for being dirty." Now, we aren't poor.  That's still no excuse for being dirty.  On Saturday morning when I needed to clean my room.

You can do anything as well as the boys do, except fight. When my teenage self began to feel insecure.

Trust in The Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. When, as a young adult, I felt I was wondering in circles.

Through his words and actions, my daddy taught me to be a person of excellence, to be happy with my feminity, and the importance of loving well.

Thank-you Daddy, and Happy Birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment