Friday, May 16, 2014

Cold Blooded Animals on a Cool Day


"Mom, I found a worm and a slug, and they are moving really slow."

We are having what the locals call "blueberry winter".  By "winter", we mean that you will want a jacket in the morning.  However, it is cool enough to slow down cold blooded animals, and I think that was the problem for the little mollusk (slug) and annelid (earth worm) that T-Rex found.

Other classes of animals such as mammals and birds have mechanisms to control temperature.  Their metabolism speeds and their pores close. Our cold blooded little friends loose their energy to the cool air, and that is why they were moving kind of slow.


Here's a nice article on Annelids and 
Molusks I found while doubling checking my facts:
http://www.tulane.edu/~bfleury/diversity/labguide/mollannel.html

The purpose of this series is to help me, my children, and my readers appreciate the natural world.  If you have found science along your way, I would love for you to share it here. 
E-mail me at WisdomKnowledgeJoy@gmail.com.


2 comments: